Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Maui
SPCA Maui is proud to participate with Subaru Hawaii again this year in the Share their Love promotion. Please take a minute and vote for us on their Facebook page at: Vote Here for SPCA Maui with Subaru’s “Share the Love” Challenge!
Vision and Mission: No More Homeless Pets
The mission of SPCA Maui is to create a “no more homeless pets” Maui and stop the killing of companion animals as a means of population control.
The immediate vision of SPCA Maui is to provide spay/neuter education and services to all Maui pet owners in a convenient and affordable manner. Currently we are working with our Maui veterinary professionals in their own offices. We link our pet patient up with a locally established vet and provide necessary financial assistance. Mash units on site, for rural areas of the Island, are in the planning stages. We are actively fundraising for our state of the art mobile spay/neuter unit which will allow us to reach every area of Maui to better serve community needs.
The Maui Challenge
- Per capita, Maui has almost 4X more animals entering our County sponsored shelter annually, than the national average.
- Our County shelter eliminates 81% of all cats and 51% of all dogs who enter it’s doors due to lack of space. In the past 5 years, this has totaled over 30,000 animals. This does not even begin to take into consideration those homeless who are roaming our forests, fields and beaches.
- Our rural island communities make up almost 2/3 of our island people and pet populations. Here, there are critical voids in spay/neuter education, financial challenges and often a total lack of veterinary services available. Kittens and puppies being born daily is out of control.
How We CAN FIX our pet overpopulation
Only a prevention model will successfully address pet overpopulation. A 2008 statement from the American Veterinary Medical Association states that “Sterilization is the best antidote to the mass euthanasia of cats and dogs resulting from overpopulation.” Shelter models deal with the problem by eliminating animals they cannot adopt out. Our prevention model addresses the cause of the problem at the source. Stop uncontrolled breeding and homeless pets with spay/neuter.
- Education regarding the health and financial benefits of spay / neuter “fix” for companion animals is severely lacking on our Island. (link to Education?) Without knowledge, apathy happens as do kittens and puppies. Our focus on education is critical and of major emphasis.
- Affordability (low cost / no cost) is key to helping those without financial means to have the surgery for their pets. Unfortunately, the cost to properly care for a litter of puppies or kittens is far greater and thus the dumping of these litters island wide. SPCA Maui provides the financial assistance to pet owners in need.
- Accessibility and convenience is often a key factor to accomplishing a surgery. Currently, SPCA Maui can help with scheduling and transportation of a pet to one of our participating vets. Soon, we will be able to bring spay/neuter services to neighborhoods and rural areas with our mash and mobile units.
Click on me to donate now!
Click on me to donate now! Meow!
Please help us stop the suffering and homelessness of unwanted litters of kittens and puppies.
Why We Need Your Help!
The kill/euthanasia rate for animal intakes on Maui historically runs about 80%, which equals to approximately 8,000 death sentences for our companion animals every year. This ratio has not changed significantly in many years. The past and current animal control programs have not worked in reducing the kill ration on this island. SPCA Maui feels strongly that we have a better way and need the community’s support to make it happen.
We appreciate your interest! As a brand new organization, volunteer opportunities abound. As we become established we welcome your interest and energy.
We’d love to discuss the best way for you to help out!